South Walter Reed Drive Complete Streets Project:
Phase 2 includes capital improvements at 9th Street South and tactical improvements from 5th Street South to Columbia Pike. This phase received funding for design and engineering in the short-term Capital Improvement Plan approved by the County Board in July 2020.
- Provide better connectivity for people walking and biking by improving bike facilities and pedestrian crossings through tactical improvements
- Reduce complexity at 9th Street South by realigning the intersection
- Allow controlled access to and from 9th Street South by signalizing the intersection
Final Concept Update – Spring 2023
The concept design shared in November 2022 has received additional updates as the project team works to finalize the design. The changes are consistent with planning guidance and community feedback heard through the three engagements.
The project will be put out to bid in summer 2023, with anticipated construction to begin in fall 2023. Arlington County Staff are coordinating with the APS Career Center project and the schedule is subject to change.
Summary of changes from the November 2022 version to the April 2023 final concept:
- The southbound bike lane is at sidewalk level between 6th Street S and 7th Street S, rather than being buffered.
- The design protects provides consistent protection for people biking while retaining on-street parking and reducing maintenance challenges.
- The striped median space has been reduced between 8th Street S and 9th Street S to facilitate a shorter crossing distance at 8th St S and increased planting space from 8th St S to 9th St S.
- Proposed trees are included. The exact number of trees are subject to change based on final engineering.
- Final location of Capital Bikeshare station will be determined based on ongoing coordination with Capital Bikeshare and APS.
View Complete Streets Project County Website